I wanted to share what I think are some of the best photography apps for social media. There are tons of choices out there, but as a professional photographer, I've found my favorites that have served my personal and professional needs over the years. I'm listing my favorite apps that I currently use or have recently used and loved.
I do the majority of my photo editing and retouching on my computer, I use Capture One and Adobe Photoshop for all photo editing and retouching. My use for mobile photo editing apps is mainly to format my images to post on Instagram and also to do quick global edits of photos I take from my iPhone X.
Most of the Apps out there offer similar features but they all have different interfaces and have strengths in specific features. Some apps are wonderful for filters while others may be awesome at custom edits or for cropping and layouts.
1. Afterlight** – I've used this App for year. I really enjoy the cropping and border options. Afterlight has some really nice preset filters, the ability to make basic global edits (exposure, contrast, highlights, shadows, basic toning, sharpening, etc). You can also use an feature called "Fusion" which allows you to record your edits and save them as your own custom preset. **Afterlight is now Afterlight 2.0 which I need to get ASAP because this looks powerful AF!
2. Diptic - This app I've had for years; I used to make diptych collages with this app for Instagram when I posted a lot more personal content on my page vs. professional content. I would collage in a lot of my food photos or behind the scenes photos together. I personally don't use this anymore however I think if done well, you can make some really cool
3. Snapseed - Okay this App is POWERFUL! Developed by Nik Software, Snapseed has a ton of editing features and was first released in 2011 for the iPad. After downloading this and using it on my phone, I think it could be really well used on a larger mobile device like an iPad Pro. One of my Digital Techs showed me this app on set last year and I was impressed and scared by what this mobile app can do. I have only used it a little bit, but this App can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Snapseed has a bunch of features. You have the option to use "Looks" which allows you to edit an image with presets or use the "Tools" to adjust things like contrast, curves, details, head pose - there is even a skin smoothing options. I'm not one to positively speak about skin smoothing apps, but this skin smoothing works way better and has more realistic options over many other mobile photo editing apps. I've definitely edited an iPhone selfie with this feature and it's provided some nice results. Nothing beats a professional retoucher's job, but if someone is going to try and retouch their own photos for social media, they may as well use a more realistic approach.
4. InShot – This is my new favorite photography app for social media. For creating content for social media - this App takes the cake! You can edit videos and photos within InShot. InShot allows you to do basic photo edits, crop and add borders. You can also create a collage and add text as needed. I LOVE using this app. InShot allows you to upgrade to Pro and purchase additional filters, effects and fonts that you may need. This is incredible for anyone who is running a business through Social Media.
5. Meme+ - This app rocks and allows you to create memes. Pretty self explanatory!
And to round this out, I'm going to share a bonus which is my favorite Desktop Photography App for Social Media is…
BlogStomp! Before I found BlogStomp I was spending so much time formatting my images for my blog and Facebook on Photoshop. I had friends who used BlogStomp and realized that I could save so much time for myself by purchasing this efficient AF App. I love to make collages for my blog and for Facebook posts and this app allows me to format and resize my high res images for web with a simple click of a button!
Do you have a favorite photography app for social media? Let me know in the comments below!